Haapsalu railway station is an excellent preserved example of 20th century wooden architecture. The Keila-Haapsalu route and final station were decided in 1902. Construction began in May 1904, and temporary traffic was possible already in December. The railway station building was designed by architect K. Verheim and engineer V. Vestfalen, constructed during 1905-1907. Regular passenger trains used the route until September 1997. Up to 2004, the tracks served cargo trains. Now, most of the track has been deconstructed and the former track bed is used as a bicycle track. The historicist railway station consists of many buildings: passenger terminal, train control pavilion, a covered terrace and a covered platform of 216 metres. The single-storey terminal is decorated with wooden lace, the two-storey stone waiting has a clock tower on its north-eastern facade. The interior has stucco ceilings and floors of small ceramic tiles. The sea views were painted in the 1950's. A small baggage storage is situated by the platform.