- This French, early 16th century gilt chalice, is decorated with chased and enameled medallions. It has a Golgotha scene, with images of Christ and the apostles, and the crucifixion, together with skulls, bones and the armorial shield of the French Knight Fra Pierre de Cluys, Commander of Moissy, with the stylized Fleur de Lys crown, particularly associated with the French monarchy, inscribed on the base. The three petals of the heraldic design reflect a widespread association with the Holy Trinity - a tradition going back to 14th century France added onto the earlier belief that they also represented faith, wisdom and chivalry.The chalice was intended as a liturgical object, and it is a rare surviving example of the refined, aristocratic taste of the Knights of the Order of Saint John. It is decorated with the Coat of Arms of the French Knight Fra Pierre De Cluys, who had donated it to the Church of Saint Anthony the Abbot in Birgu, which was the Parish Church of the dependents of the Order until 1617. The Knight must have brought the chalice with him to Malta from France and he must have resided with the other Knights in Birgu in the early 16th century. After the Order of Saint John built their new capital Valletta, the Chalice was then transferred to the Church of the Virgin of Victories in Valletta and it remained there until 1974 when it was put on permanent display in this Museum.
- Inscription: Inscribed on inside of base "47"
- Repository/Location: National Museum of Fine Arts (Valletta, Malta)
- : Base: 15.7 cm
- Early Renaissance [Create]
References and relations