- The Italian Grand Master Gregorio Caraffa ruled in Malta from 1680 till 1690, having succeeded Nicolas Cotoner. Following the tradition of all newly appointed Grand Masters he gifted the co-Cathedral of St. John in Valletta with the High altar. He also built the Auberge DItalie in Merchants Street in Valletta, with his bust adorning the façade. He also completed a number of constructions in and around the Grand Harbour, including four batteries at the foot of Fort St. Angelo and Fortifications around St. Elmo. He was a well-known protector of Christendom in the Levant, as acknowledged by Emperor Leopold (Holy Roman Emperor). During his ten year reign, Malta was known to have prospered and peace was preserved within the Convent.
- Full length portrait of the Italian Grand Master Gregorio Caraffa (1680-1690), sitting on an elaborate chair
- Repository/Location: National Museum of Fine Arts (Valletta, Malta)
- : 152.5 x 214 cm (without frame)
- Baroque [Create]
References and relations