Master Hugo (fl. c.1130-c.1150) was a Romanesque lay artist. His documented career at Bury St Edmunds Abbey spans from before 1136 to after 1148. He is most famous for illuminating the first volume of the Bury Bible, which "have led to a general acknowledgement of Master Hugo as the gifted innovator of the main line of English Romanesque art". This was made for the Abbey in about 1135, and is now in the Parker Library of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge; it is not known whether he illuminated the second volume, of which only a small fragment is known to survive, now in a private collection in the USA. He is also recorded as making bronze doors for the western entry of the Abbey church, a great bell and a carved crucifix with figures of Mary and Saint John, for the Monk's Choir (probably a rood). He has been credited with having made the ivory Cloisters Cross (or "Bury St. Edmunds Cross"), now at The Cloisters, New York, but this is disputed; there is no certain evidence to suggest that the cross was even made in England, although this is accepted by most scholars, and other places of origin such as Germany have been proposed.
Ed. nova, accurante J.-P. Migne.; tom. 175-177
Illustrations: Illustrations; hrsg. von J. E. Wackernell.; 3
hrsg. von Karl Bartsch.; 143; Poems.; Übersicht über das 31. Verwaltungsjahr des Litterarischen Vereins (1878): p. 235-236.
Illustrations: Illustrations; verfasst durch Hugo von Trimberg ; zum ersten Male heraus gegeben und mit Erläuterungen versehen vom Historischen Vereine daselbst.
von Joh. Huemer.; P. 145-190 of the Sitzungsberichte der phil.-hist. Classe der kais. Akademie der Wissenschaften, CXVI. Bd., 1. Heft, 1888.; Bibliographical footnotes.
Shelfmark: Universitätsbibliothek Heidelberg, Cod. Pal. germ. 115