12th August 1931. View of the site in the Headrow where the new Lewis's multi-storey department store is shortly to be built. Excavations are almost complete and some of the many tons of rock which were dug out can be seen piled up in the foreground. Several cranes are in use supplied by Robert Carlyle & Co. Ltd., builders, of Old Trafford. The Headrow runs along the right edge of the site with New Briggate straight ahead. On the left is the stone built St. John's Parish Room in Mark Lane and after the group of trees adjacent to it the Assembly Rooms are visible in New Briggate. This building, designed by George Corson in 1898, had become a cinema by the time of this image.