These buildings were part of the journeys of many migrants during the 1920s and 1930s. They were owned by the Royal Holland Lloyd shipping line, whose ships departed from the nearby quays.
Between 1921 and 1935, the building was used as temporary accommodation for migrants. The hotel could house 900 people. They stayed there on their journeys from Poland, Romania, Hungary and the Balkans to South America. Many were leaving behind poverty of their homelands to go to South America, where labour was needed for agriculture.
Later, during World War 2, Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany were accommodated in the hotel by the Dutch government. After that, the building has been used detention centre, juvenile detention centre and artist studios. Now it is a hotel and cultural centre.
In the nearby quarantine building (ontsmettings gebouw), people had a medical check up and a shower before their long journey.