Newark Castle, church and Trent Bridge, Newark on Trent, 1900s

Showing the ruins of what was once a remarkable castle. The site has revealed Saxon remains, and there is evidence of Norman habitation, but the castle remains seen here were built c 1133 by Alexander 'The Magnificent', Bishop of Lincoln, with gatehouse, free-standing chapel (now gone) and long and high river front (265 ft long, 170 ft high), containing a watergate. A later bishop, perhaps Henry D…