1st March 2007. The stone building seen centrally housed the Test Laboratory at Kirkstall Forge. The Laboratory performed an important role during the Second World War when it was designated the Official Approved Test House for the District in 1939. At the left edge the building seen houses an eighteenth century waterwheel and helve-hammer and two drop stamps dating from c1850. The building is Grade II listed.