24th June 1931. Excavations are underway on the site of the new Lewis's department store to be constructed in the Headrow. The sides of the site appear to be temporarily shored up with wooden supports. In the foreground a stack of excavated rock is most likely awaiting removal. Left of centre bags of sand and/or cement are being fed into a Fowler concrete mixer. In the background, left, are properties and shops in New Briggate including, from left, Mentel Ltd. furriers at number 16, Fit-rite Shoes at 14, and Tom White & Daughters hairdressers and chiropodist at numbers 8-10. Properties in the Headrow can be seen right of centre. The white building on the corner with Briggate is number 43, Lucette (Leeds) Ltd. gown specialists, then Montague Burton's at 85 to 87 Briggate, The Horse and Trumpet and City Palace of Varieties, Myers late Bells, jewellers, and Edward Skelton, hosier. The building at the right edge is Thornton's Buildings constructed in 1873, housing Thornton's Arcade and City Varieties where Charles Thornton (1820 - 1881) was proprietor.