1989. Sir Thomas Layton built this school for boys in 1710, sited at the junction of Town Street and Layton Avenue. In 1861 a school was built on Town Street which was extended in 1876. The original Layton building became the 'Institute' and was used for various purposes from 1876-1979. It is now a private house. The school sited on Town Street burnt down in 1951, it was 1965 before the present school on the site was opened.