IH s. in pencil b. r. " C R Mackintosh / 140 Bath Street / Glasgow"; inscr. in pencil t. l. "HOUSE AT KILMALCOLM / WILLIAM DAVIDSON JUNR ESQ"; stamped b. r. (oval stamp in purple ink) "COUNTY OF RENFREW / Master of Works Dept. / Approved 7/8/00 / County Bdge Paisley / SECOND OR LOWER DISTRICT"; signed in pen below the stamp "James Murray" [council employee]; other notes and measurements DES MACKINTOSH, Charles Rennie; (Scottish; 1868-1928) Windyhill, Kilmacolm, was Mackintosh's first major domestic commission. It was begun in 1900 for William Davidson, a Glasgow provisions merchant, who was to become one of Mackintosh's most loyal patrons. Davidson had previously commissioned furniture from Mackintosh in the 1890s for his property at Gladsmuir, Kilmacolm. The plan for Windyhill was similar in style to that for the later The Hill House.