Royal (1) s. in plate with butterfly; u.l.
(2) s. on tab with butterfly and inscr. "imp"
(3) s. in pencil; v. with butterfly
(4) inscr. in pencil by Whistler; v. "chosen proof"
(5) inscr. in pencil; v. with a clover leaf in a circle
(6) Watermark; a crown over coat of arms with fleur de lys and sudarium? CRE WHISTLER, James McNeill; (American; 1834-1903) PRINT WHISTLER, James McNeill; (American; 1834-1903) PUB Fine Art Society; (London) This subject was published in 'The First Venice Set', or 'Venice, A Series of Twelve Etchings', by the Fine Art Society, London, from 1880. This is one of the few etchings that tackle famous Venetian vistas. During his stay, Whistler moved to live with a group of American art students (the "Duveneck Boys") who occupied a house called the Casa Jankovitz, on the Riva di San Biagio. There is a related etching, "The Riva No.2" (Kennedy 206), also in the Hunterian collection (See GLAHA 46614). Birnie Philip Gift, 1935, not lendable.