You're viewing this item in the new Europeana website. View this item in the original Europeana.

Archaeological site of Hala Sultan Tekke

A Late Cypriot Bronze Age town is situated in a field west of the
mosque of Hala Sultan Tekke and the Larnaca Salt Lake. The town extends about 600 x 400 m
(240 000 sqm). A street, 4-5 m wide, runs through the town in a north to south direction.
The house complexes often consist of a courtyard surrounded by rooms and in front of the
entrances to the houses there is often a paved platform, raised above the level of the
street like the passage ways of Pompeii. The houses were either used as workshops or for
living and commercial activities. Three bathrooms with ashlar floors have been discovered. A
large building with interior supports for pillars and an inner room may probably be
identified as a sanctuary. The oldest remains of a settlement date back to the Middle
Cypriote Bronze Age or c. 1600 B.C. The town was destroyed in c. 1190 B.C. and again in 1175
B.C and ceased to appear in the 11th century B.C. The site underwent a short revival in the
Hellenistic period.