This digital exhibition was produced in May 2023 by the Michael Culture Association.
This exhibition was created as part of the project CRAFTED that focuses on a diverse set of craft-related items and develops curatorial outputs and activities that address the specific material qualities of newly aggregated and already existing objects related to the subject on the Europeana website. The project supports the transfer of European crafts to future generations by aggregating, enriching and promoting tangible crafts heritage and preserving intangible skills and knowledge from craftsmen and artisans.
Crafted is a project co-funded by the EC under the CEF-Telecom programme.
- National Technical University of Athens (GR)
- European Fashion Heritage Association (IT)
- Netherlands Institute for Sound & Vision (NL)
- Michael Culture Association (BE)
- Europeana Foundation (NL)
- Museo del Tessuto di Prato (IT)
- MoMu Antwerp (BE)
- Palais Galliera (FR)
- Mobilier National (FR)
- Museum of Arts and Crafts (HR)
- ICIMSS (PL)
- National Documentation Center – EKT (GR)
- Datable BV (BE)
- Open University of the Netherlands (NL)
Maria Teresa Natale, Michael Culture
Maud Ntonga, Michael Culture
Juliette Pokorny, Michael Culture
Editing and production:
Beth Daley, Europeana Foundation
Małgorzata Szynkielewska, Europeana Foundation
Jolan Wuyts, Europeana Foundation
Thank you to Jolan Wuyts, Małgorzata Szynkielewska and Beth Daley, Europeana Foundation, Corinne Szteinsznaider, Marco Fiore, Michael Culture, and Elena Tredici.
The curators would like to thank Céline Tuloup, Julie Legrand, Brankica Zilovic and Gauvain Manhattan for accepting to share their work and their universe.
- Shiner, L.,‘“Blurred Boundaries”? Rethinking the Concept of Craft and its Relation to Art and Design’, Philosophy Compass., 2012, pp.230-244. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1747-9991.2012.00479.x
- Adamson, G., Thinking through Craft, Bloomsbury Visual Arts, 2007. ISBN 10 : 1350092630 ISBN 13 : 9781350092631
- Risatti, H. and Kenneth R., A Theory of Craft : Function and Aesthetic Expression, University of North Carolina Press, 2007. ISBN: 9781469600901 & 1469600900
- Buszek, M.E., ‘INTRODUCTION: The Ordinary Made Extra/Ordinary.’, Extra/Ordinary: Craft and Contemporary Art, Duke University Press, 2011, pp. 1-20. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/j.ctv11cw76n.5
- Bryan-Wilson, J., ‘Fabrications : race, genre et travail du textile’, Perspective,Vol. X, No 1, 2016, pp. 210-215. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4000/perspective.6447
- Collet, I., ‘Genre et jeux vidéo’, Travail, genre et sociétés, No 1, 2015, pp. 199-202. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3917/tgs.037.0199
- Beaudet, P., ‘Transmission des arts textiles : matrilinéaire et historique’,Vie des Arts, No 265, 2022. URL: https://viedesarts.com/en/dossiers/dossier-ramifications-textiles/transmission-des-arts-textiles-matrilineaire-et-historique/
- Benedetti, A., Bibliografia artigianato: La manualistica artigiana del Novecento: pubblicazioni su arti e mestieri in Italia dall'Unità ad oggi, Erga edizioni, 2004. URL: https://www.centroalbertomanzi.it/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/CentroAlbertoManzi-La-via-migliore-1980-n7-L-Artigianato.pdf