- × pixels
- Died October 9th 1878 in his 57th year. The Burnleys were one of the principal families in Batley at one time, and in their day owned some of the besat sites in the town. Those include sites upon which Hick Lane Mills, Hick Lane Chapel Buildings and adjacent banks and Hammer Street Chapel now stand. Sam Burnley used to reside where Dr. Bailey lived in Hanover Street and either John or Jacob Burnley resided where Bullock's shop later stood in Wellington Street. There were four brothers, John, Jacob, Sam and Abraham - but Sam was the active spirit and one of the best known and most highly respected member in Batley. He was musically inclined and was captain of the local fire brigade. The Burnleys were woollen manufacturers at the Hick Lane Mills, which was probably built by their father, Mr. John Burnley who was an enterprising tradesman and carried on a large trade in Batley's special line - druggets, pilots etc.
First published in Europeana:
Last updated in Europeana:
- Chapel Hill, looking up towards Buxton Road, Huddersfield.
- Wartime Archive of Reg Stone of Skelmanthorpe: The King Edward VII Arch leading to the Victoria Memorial Hall, Queens Way, Calcutta.
- The Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Church Lane, Mirfield WF14 9HY.
- Mr John Beddard's (former Headmaster of Shelley Council School) middle daughter - Daisy.