- × pixels
- In 1927 it was decided to rebuild Kayes King Street premises (the building which is now occupied by the Abbey Bank). A London architect who specialised in shop construction was commissioned. Looking at the image, note the well. This design feature illuminated the building with natural light from the top floor skylight right down to the ground floor. Norman Kaye loved air and light and insisted on having daylight on the ground floor. Over the next decade these wells were gradually filled in, to make way for more retail space. Information taken from A Family Business 97 Years Young A talk given at the stores celebrations in 1960.
First published in Europeana:
Last updated in Europeana:
- Chapel Hill, looking up towards Buxton Road, Huddersfield.
- Wartime Archive of Reg Stone of Skelmanthorpe: The King Edward VII Arch leading to the Victoria Memorial Hall, Queens Way, Calcutta.
- The Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Church Lane, Mirfield WF14 9HY.
- Mr John Beddard's (former Headmaster of Shelley Council School) middle daughter - Daisy.