West view of Nottingham Castle

Perched on a cliff top, Nottingham Castle
occupied the highest point in the city. The medieval building was
demolished in the late 17th century, having being purchased in 1663
by William Cavendish, the first Duke of Newcastle. Between 1674 and
79 he built a palatial country house here, adding particularly fine
gardens over the next forty years. The house was burned down in
riots over the 1831 Refo…